But you know how it is, the grass is always greener on the other side, right? So, guess what I often wish for my kids? I wish my kids were experiencing what your kids are experiencing: having friends, having family in the same country, going to school. I wish my kids could see what your kids see: football and baseball games, current cartoons, read any book they want . Live the way your kids live: opportunities galore, an AWANA program, comfort and convenience and variety. What YOU are doing, experiencing, seeing, what you are a part of is a HUGE privilege. It's the path God has you on.
Are you surprised that a missionary would want that for her kids? I am often surprised by my feelings. But what I often just want is normalcy for my kids. I want them to have friends to play with and have relationships with. I want them to get into arguments with other kids, learn conflict resolution, have a teacher challenge them in a way I'm clueless about, have relationships with kids that make them think and laugh and make them feel special. I want them to see their grandparents, cousins and aunts and uncles. I want them to have access to all the opportunities America gives it's citizens. I want them to know our home culture. I want them to live in a home that has heat when it's 30 degrees at night. I want to be able to relate to them. I don't know what it's like to be a kid and live they way they are living. I feel helpless most of the time.
There is a constant battle in my heart--wanting to give them the best of everything and realizing this is God's best for them right now.
The world and Satan want you and I to forget about eternity. These evils want us to crave the shiny things of life over the things that bring us closer to God. Oh God keep my eyes on you! Help me to want what You want for my kids! Together friends, let's choose to be faithful for the season God has us in. To accept this as His best for us. To love Him all the more for it and trust Him regardless of how we feel. And most of all, be thankful. In some seasons of life thankfulness comes easily, in other seasons it comes as an offering.
Being a missionary seemed so easy when I was a single girl heading to Asia. But now, as a Mom, a wife, the holder of our parents' grandchildren, well, let's just say there is nothing easy about being a missionary now. But really, the concept remains the same. I must focus on Jesus and let Him carry my burdens and keep an eternal perspective. I pray that for myself, and I pray that for you.
Thanks for listening and thank you for all of your prayers and support! We continue to strive to be faithful to God in this season and faithful to your investment in our lives. To God be the glory!
Katie
hah! after all those beautiful words, i still want my kids to grow up the way yours are! i think it's just because of the cultural spiritual warfare here- worldy comforts and self centered conveniences, etc...and it's such a SNEAKY plan...makes you feel so good- well, you know! but truth be told, if they can't learn to follow Jesus in the midst of american culture, where could they? so- ok. i give in. you're right. i'm- offering thanks- with you, sweet friend. but if God's wildest best ever brings you back here, my prayer for your family is that you'll live like you're in africa.
ReplyDeleteI hear you Katie! It really is a challenge the longer you consider leaving your home country for. It goes through my mind whenever we think of future plans. Why would we leave the comfort of home? The great things here, especially schooling!!!! I had almost discarded the dream. But you know, watching the hobbit, when Bilbo suddenly leaps out of his house to catch up with the party of dwarves, yelling "I'm going on an adventure!!!!!", THAT feeling summarises the craziness of the decision to me!
ReplyDelete