Wow! It is still hard to believe we are actually here! We can't thank you enough for your part in getting us here--what a great adventure we are all on together! OK, so I'm sure you might want to know how things have been going so I'll get started . . .
We gathered our 10 suitcases, 5 carry-ons, 5 backpacks and 3 children and got on the plane thanks to the help of some dear friends who assisted us with all of this and more. At the start of our flight Savannah started not feeling well and developed a fever and stomach flu symptoms. But what a trooper! She was still in good spirits and our flight went by REALLY fast. We stayed in a hotel as we arrived after midnight and woke up to a beautiful blue sky and a whole new world! We were still in a bit of a bubble though as English was spoken and we ate familiar foods for breakfast. Then we headed to the airport for the last leg of our trip.
When we landed, everything was different.
No English was spoken. No one looked familiar. We were stared at. We were actually laughed at because of all the luggage we had. A friend greeted us and led us to a van to take us to a temporary apartment. We stepped outside. The sky was gray and thick with pollution. The smell. How do I describe the smell? Well, let's just say it wasn't pleasant. The whole city smelled like it---perhaps that's what burning coal smells like? That and garbage and . . . well, you get the idea. But, after being here over 3 weeks, it no longer smells to us. It's just normal. But that first week, yuck, I just could barely stand it. I'm sure I have a sensitive sniffer, but still, the smell took all of us by surprise.
The first week was a blur. We went to this market and that market buying paints (yes, without lead), fabric for sheets and curtains, beds, wardrobes (since our apartment has no closets) and cleaning supplies. Every day we went to one or two new places to buy this and that for our new apartment and Father never let us leave empty handed, every stop was productive--nothing was a waste of time or energy. The girls got used to jet leg as if there was no such thing! They started sleeping normally almost immediately. It's as if someone was thinking very specifically about all of our details. And, I know for a fact that's true. We could tell some of you asked for the girls to adjust to the time change: and they did. We could tell that others asked for a smooth transition: and we did. You asked for peace and we had it. You asked for supernatural wisdom and strength and it was given to us in cups overflowing! You asked for closeness with Father and he was there for our every moment, our every need, our every care. It was evident that you are in this with us because you were there.
You were there when we needed to get a taxi in our tired strength. You were there when the girls struggled with learning how to use the squatty potties! You were there when we felt out of place. You were there. You are here and we couldn't be here without you. Thanks for asking for every single solitary detail to be covered with his kindness. He has granted us minds of resolve, unwavering certainty that this is his plan for us. He has given us a quiet strength to persevere and be patient, we know things will take time--but the result, oh the glorious result of the tasks before us!
I was really struck by an interesting thought yesterday. We have three bedrooms. One bedroom will be our school room. This school room currently happens to be our "I've-unpacked-it-but-have-no-where-to-put-it-catch-all-room". I looked at this seemingly disastrous room yesterday. I saw suitcases, boxes, plastic bags strewn across the floor. Empty bins stacked 5 high, laundry hanging from any willing accomplice: chairs, boxes, ladders. Books stacked on shelves, toys scattered about, cleaning supplies and computer items mingled together on the floor. I thought, "That is going to be a great room. Everything I need is there. Everything has it's place either in that room or another. This room will be a great gift to my girls. Though it looks like a mess to a stranger, to me it is beautiful because I know what it will become and all that I need is there."
Then it hit me.
That's how he must see things. When life feels chaotic, or doesn't make sense or seemingly out of control--this is what it must look like to him. Beautiful! He can see how great it will be. Everything he needs is there. Everything has a place, a purpose, and it gives him gladness to supernaturally orchestrate it all for his good pleasure and our best interests. Friends, let's encourage each other to see like him. See from his perspective. Be encouraged in the one who loves you without ceasing, he has a plan and it is good!
I'll write more soon. Always praying for you and ever thankful for you. Oh, and thank you to all of you who wrote letters into the thing I like to call, "The book of awesomeness". Letters from dozens of you, and pictures too! It is on my shelf by my bed and I frequent it's pages nearly every night. I can't thank you enough for blessing our family with so many kind words, great pictures and warm thoughts. Our cup runneth over!
Oh, and lastly, yes, we are moved into our apartment now. The room I mentioned is in our apartment, our home. Still much to unpack and settle, but it is feeling more like a home every day. ~ Katie
YES!!!!! i have missed you and have been asking George about you. it is so awesome to finally hear how things are going. what an awesome update- so excited for you all!!!
ReplyDeleteso many encouraging things about you, the journey, what we share. we are making a move but not to our home we longingly await, but to one that will serve us as we finish this leg of the journey:} we do ask Father often to touch you with the knowledge of his love for you. and i love the messy room, just what i needed to read tonight:} hugs, BIG hugs friend:} abby
ReplyDeleteKatie, I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing! We are leaving next week and I feel like you guys are a step ahead and you help me with perspective! We just finished the gut-wrenching goodbyes and I thought about your goodbye post so much! Love you all!
ReplyDeleteLove your thoughts on Father! The gratitude and thankfulness bring happiness and joy! So glad to see your transition moving along and am so excited for all of your family! Father has great gifts to unwrap for you and the beautiful people there!
ReplyDeleteRobb - seriously? you make your wife hold Chloe for the picture after 96 hrs or whatever it was in the air, with Savannah not feeling well. Way to take one for the team ;)
ReplyDeleteMiss you guys lots. Thanks for the updates!