Monday, October 3, 2011
Is it already October?
It is hard to believe we have been here for 6 weeks! It actually feels like 6 months :) I can't believe I haven't updated this blog for a month--there is so much to share! I would love to tell you about our apartment and how quaint it is and about the paint that is mysteriously peeling off our walls in our bedroom and how bad the bathroom smells but truly how homey our sweet little place is. I'm serious, we really do love it! But, I won't tell you about that.
I would love to tell you about the people here, how kind they are, how beautiful they think our girls are and all the baby butts we've seen because of the split pants concept here. But, I won't tell you about that right now either.
I would also love to share with you how we are doing, how well the girls are thriving here, how some days are so difficult for Robb and I yet our Father's love is abundant and comforting. Some days we learn new words and on other days we speak huge blunders, the ups and downs in the end are all progress and point us to Him. But, I have decided not to share about that right now either.
What I really want to tell you about is a thief.
I was at a market with a friend one day, trying to buy an oven. Now, when I say oven, what I really mean is a glorified toaster. But, it does the job of an oven--just can't fit nearly as much in there. All of the sudden there was a mad rush of people and loud yells and aggressive language. As they rushed past, the yells heightened and we could hear crashes and items falling all around. I thought there was an earthquake, my heart raced as my friend and I embraced, silently asking Dad to help us. Then the crowd dispersed and one man came into view. He was walking backwards quickly as if trying to get away, chairs and small tables were being thrown at him and his face was covered in blood.
People were yelling and screaming, "Thief! Thief!" And they attacked him and beat him.
It was disturbing and heartbreaking.
It was sad and painful to watch. Whatever small crime he committed, did he deserve this? Surely he just shoplifted, must they treat him so harshly? You see, here, it isn't the smartest thing to commit a crime. Even a small crime can result in lengthy imprisonment, unemployment, homelessness or death. You have to be either really stupid or really desperate to commit a crime here.
I imagined this thief had a little girl, all she needed was a little food to eat or perhaps a new shirt. Out of his love and need to provide for her, he desperately tried to get what she needed at any cost.
Immediately, I thought of Jack. Was He that desperate to save us? He endured humiliation, was wrongly accused and went through great pain to provide what we needed, at any cost.
I began to think about the thief again. Did he really commit a crime? Did someone just try to frame him because of some rivalry? My heart just couldn't stop screaming, "Stop! He doesn't deserve this! Whoever has done nothing wrong in any way, then you may cast the first stone. Otherwise, leave him alone!"
I just couldn't shake this disturbing, nauseating feeling. How could people do that to him? And more importantly, how could we have done that to Jack? I am no better than that thief. None of us are. This world is full of thieves as we steal for glory and riches not our own, that which will rot and decay, but glory nonetheless. I, for the first time, really felt sick over the thought of the Rescuer not being rescued. How did He endure that? What kind of love is this that He would lay down His life for us, the ones who wrongly accuse Him?! What kind of love is this?! We were that needy! His love was that great!
Oh, how humbling, how grateful I felt in those moments. He didn't give up on us. It was worth it to Him. To rescue those who would believe, it was worth it. I am worth it! You are worth it! Can you believe that? I still can't wrap my mind around it. How much He has truly done so that I can be with Him. Wow.
Jack has asked our family of 5 to live in a land of darkness and depravity. But aren't we all living there? Isn't this world full of darkness and depravity in one form or another? We are here, in this place, with smelly bathrooms and beaten thieves because we love Jack. He asked us to come here, and He has asked you to be a part of this with us. Together, with you, we will be a light in the darkness, rescuing thieves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just wanted to tell you that you are awesome and I love you! Be safe though please! Next time run away! Think lots about the man while you are doing it but RUN! Talk to you…
ReplyDeleteMandy S.
LOL! Yes, Mandy, if I could of run I would of. But next time, just for you, I'll try a lot harder. You crack me up! We were stuck in this little nook of a store and couldn't get out because of the crazy crowd. Actually, it was a blessing to be in there instead of in the way of the mass of running people and flying objects.
ReplyDeleteThanks for making me laugh and thanks for your love!
Katie